Are you unsure of what to do with your living space? You could have a beautiful living room, but if you haven’t made any changes in years it could feel stale. Sometimes just moving my dresser in my bedroom makes the whole room feel different. One good place to start though is with some outside inspiration. Why not start with a model house? You can easily find some to tour through right here.
What to look for?
- This is often overlooked in peoples’ homes. Do you like soft or hard lighting? Do you prefer the yellow warm look or the cooler white lights? Not sure? Look through a model house or a few near you can try to get a feel for what you like most. You can also use lights to accent walls, art, or anything you like.
- Color Schemes
- Contrary to what most kids’ color books would show you, not all colors look good together. Here is a cool color calculator you can use to find colors that work well together. You just select your primary color and then a harmony and it will give you colors that work with your primary color. Try looking at some models and see if they’re matching harmonious colors or not.
- Anything peculiar
- Ever dipped a french fry in a Wendy’s frosty? Sounds weird, is weird, tastes pretty good. Sometimes designers of homes will mix older and newer styles and it can look weird but also really nice. Use some of these ideas in your own home. Don’t be afraid to paint outside the lines a bit.
- Back to lights, but switches
- Light switches are an essential piece to any home today. That doesn’t mean they have to be an eye sore. Look around and you’ll find that you actually have many options here.
- Size out the room
- Make sure the furniture you want is appropriate for the space you plan on putting it in. Even the most beautiful pieces of furniture will look wrong if placed into a space too big or small for them. Imagine a beautiful stool in the middle of a large living room. Or, a huge couch in a small bedroom.
There is no perfect model house
“Perfection” is in the eyes of the beholder. Design a home you love not one that is popular on Instagram or elsewhere. You’re the one living in it and you should love living there. Everyone has their own style and there’s nothing wrong with expressing yours.